Ciryl Gane has called for a rematch with Francis Ngannou after last week’s defeat in the UFC 270.
While the loss was a tough blow for the Frenchman, it may not be as bad as it seems depending on how everything works out with UFC and Ngannou. The two sides will likely have several meeting in the coming months to see if they can come to some sort of contract extension that will keep all involved happen, especially “The Predator.”
“If he leaves like that, I don’t want that,” Gane said at the evening’s post-fight press conference. “I want my rematch. I want to do this fight a second time. I want this fight, I want this rematch. All the stories around this fight were just stories and it was not a burden for me, I was just focused on my target. If we have a rematch, I’m going to be focused, but I’m going to improve on my weaknesses.”
Should that not happen and Ngannou opt to sit out a year to let his contract expire after it was automatically extended due to the promotion’s championship clause, that’s when things will get very interesting for the 265-pound division, in particular Gane.
UFC could very well agree to let Ngannou walk if he’s not happy, though that is unlikely to happen. But if it does, then the title will be vacated, paving the way for Gane to step right back in for another title fight, perhaps against former Light Heavyweight champion, Jon Jones.
Post a Comment